Four people somewhere are missing their right feet, but nobody really cares because
SOMEONE TRIED TO SELL A BABY ON CRAIGSLIST!!!!!111ONEone
Watch me generate ire with the following sentence:
What’s the big fucking deal?
People are shocked and horrified and scandalized and scarred for life that a local couple attempted to sell their newborn baby on Craigslist in Vancouver.
To hear local busybodies and law enforcement speak of it, you would think that no one has ever, in the history of mankind, committed a more heinous act than attempting to see a child via the internet on Craigslist.
I do not understand the violent reactions.
Okay, they probably shouldn’t have put the baby up for sale. But let’s take a look at the situation:
- The parents are drug addicts
- They can’t afford or even want the child, and said as much
- To me, it sounds as though they are not very intelligent people
- The media is filled with reports of rich famous people adopting children from all over – even adopting kids who already have parents, just not wealthy ones
Put yourself in their shoes. You’re young, dumb, addicted to drugs, and stuck with a baby that was not planned for and that you cannot afford to bring up with any sort of normalcy.
What do you do?
- They could have aborted it
- They could have tossed it in a dumpster when it was born
- They could have researched adoption methods
- They could have left it on a doorstep somewhere (and probably be tracked down and vilified anyway)
- They could have tried to get in contact with a black market adoption scheme
- They could have attempted a private sale
I just don’t understand the horror. Okay, selling a baby isn’t a good idea. We’ve established that. If you’re a drug addict, do you think clearly? You’re a drug addict with a newborn child, and you’re at the end of your frayed rope. There’s desperation. There’s a lack of sleep. Maybe there’s withdrawal. What would you do?
I’d probably come to the same conclusion: let’s sell it. People want babies, right? Rich famous people everywhere are adopting kids from all over! Maybe they’ll take ours!
There could be a healthy sense of humour: I’m stressed out and having a baby sucks. Let’s put it on Craigslist! It’ll be hilarious!
Read some of the comments people are posting on the news article, and tell me if you’re not almost as disgusted with the reactions are you are the whole scenario.
It’s terrible that junkies are allowed to have a baby! Can you imagine how you’d feel if your parents did that to you! (I’d probably be relieved – the junkies gave me a potentially better life) Stupid people should be castrated! What is the world coming to! DRUGS! Everyone is on DRUGS! We should KILL ALL THE DRUG USERS! Won’t someone THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!
What would you rather this pair of dimwitted asshats with an internet connection have done?
Is there truly no alternative than to force unfit, unwilling parents to raise a child? Who’s worse off: the child raised by drug addicts, or the child given away?
Everyone is flipping the fuck out and wanting to lynch these people.
I think they were just really, really dumb.
I wonder how much time or money the screamers who are so Worried About the Children have donated to the earthquake/cyclone aid effort.