Things that would normally amuse me:
- There was a cool handmade bookmark with a worry doll on it on my keyboard at work this morning; I think it’s from my boss. It is pretty, and I like surprise presents
- While standing at the elevator in the parkade waiting to go down, a man who parked behind me came running into the stairwell and said “thanks for driving so fast up the ramps!”. He wasn’t being sarcastic; he was really late for a meeting and needed to park ASAP. He took the stairs down the 6 floors, but I got out on the ground floor at the same time he did. He laughed at himself, then went out the wrong door. He then asked me what floor we parked on, said he should have stayed in bed this morning, and ran out the door. He was funny. I told him I hoped his day went better from that point on and he said if it didn’t, he quits.
Sasha’s at the vet. I have pet insurance, but it doesn’t cover whatever she’s going to need done. The tests alone will be $450, so it is a very very good thing that the in-laws gave us a giant gift card to Safeway for Christmas so we will be able to eat. The vet thinks she may have hyperthyroidism, which the internet tells me is a good thing because the prognosis for most cats is good to excellent.
Okay, scratch the optimism. The vet just called me and said:
- Sasha has a heart murmur but no arrhythmia, and her heart rate is on the slow side
- Her blood pressure is good
- Her teeth are excellent
- She’s very thin
- She’s been given antibiotics because she may have some e-coli in her system
- Vet thinks she has hyperthyroidism and kidney disease, or just kidney disease
- .. plus a kidney infection
- Her abdomen is tense
- Blood work is getting picked up at 10am so they should know more
- She recommends x-rays and will show them to us this afternoon at 4:45
- The bill is now around $600
The cost is making my butt hurt, but I really can’t complain – we’ve never had to pay a lot for the well-being of our cats, and Sasha is worth it. I’ll find a way to pay for it somehow – anyone want to buy naked pictures of Ed? – and we’ll see. If she’s fixable, I .. will cry more, probably. I just want my grumpy, loud, demanding Sasha back.