It’s always a good morning when I can get sucked into controversy on Twitter before 9am.
Reports out of Ottawa today reveal that the new plastic Canadian $100 (which, as a poor person, I only see on TV) originally had a vaguely Asian-looking woman on the back, but focus groups had a problem with that:
If ever there was a good time to *facepalm*, it is now – so many what the fucks.
- Canada is multicultural – featuring someone who isn’t Caucasian on one section of our 6 coins and 5 bills isn’t multicultural ENOUGH, but it would have been a great start.
- If you really want to get nitpicky (and apparently, people do) the woman being vaguely Asian or not wasn’t the POINT – it was supposed to celebrate medical advancements in Canada
- Why the fuck does the release of new bank notes require a focus group? It’s money. Make it available, and we’ll spend it.
- How much did that focus group cost? How much did the emergency redesign cost?
- Was ANYONE from that focus group from the West Coast? We aren’t nearly as afraid of Asians as they seem to be in NB and QC.
- They removed the offending vaguely Asian threat and replaced it with .. the singer from A-ha:
What the fuck. What the fuck all OVER the place.
Not happy with the decision the Bank of Canada made to de-Asian the bill, I decided to Asian it back up again on my own:
Finally. Money that represents MY Canada!